Monday, August 4, 2008

Electric Car Finds its Niche

In a brutally honest (and refreshing) piece in Reuters, titled "Electric cars -- It's the economy, stupid!" the author gives a real-world assessment of her Reva G-Wiz, pictured on the left. Guess what, it isn't all pretty, but that's not why I like the article.

The author purchased the car to be able to drive in London and avoid the congestion tax, as well as the $9 a gallon gasoline, and also take advantage of free parking. To that I say, "Good for you!" She wisely identified that her objective was to have self-determination in transportation and a cost that suited her budget.

From the article, "...I set up a spread sheet when I bought the car and I fill in the savings I make on the congestion charge, estimated on petrol and on parking... I sold my old car and I have now "made back" the expenditure on the G-Wiz through these savings... I "paid off" the car in March this year and am on the way to "paying off" the total amount."

So what' the catch? The car go only go about 40 miles per charge. Additionally, that 40 miles is really only in mild weather on flat roads. It has poor acceleration and is very small. The author also stated that going up hills was like riding a bicycle.

What this article really is about is choice, and that's what I like about the article. The consumer had a choice of the beefier car, but was faced with congestion tax, parking fees, and very expensive gas. She chose an alternative which saved her money and suited her needs. Long live the free market!!

Enjoy this Jeremy Clarkson ( of the BBC's Top Gear) video of his take on the G-Wiz. It is in about 2 minutes or so. He takes those two minutes to mock the French.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that more people are getting into electric vehicles, but for once I would like to see an electric vehicle that is the size of a normal car!

So far the normal cars are too expensive, and remain at that price for many years. I have a family, and can't settle on something small like that.

I hear there are 2 companies that produce regular sized cars. Goss132 is one of them, and Pheonix something or other is the second one.

Goss132 says their vehicles are about 23,000 which is well within my budget. The Phoenix company is about 40,000... too high of course, but Goss132 is the better buy I think.

Peace and Freedom for Iran!
Respect Life, Defend the Weakest Among Us!

ShareThis